Last Updated on
So, you want to learn how to start a knitting blog? If you answered yes, then you’ve made a great choice.
In this post, I will show you exactly how to start a blog to share your knitting projects in just a few simple steps.
The best part is that there are also a few step by step video clips to show you exactly how to get started.
Reasons why you should start a knitting blog
- A knitting blog is a great way to help you share your creativity
- A knitting blog is a great way to help you make money online
- A knitting blog is a great way to help you do something meaningful with your time
- A knitting blog is a great way to help you direct visitors to your eCommerce store
- A great way to help you build a dedicated audience for your own products
- A great way to help you establish expertise
Now you know all the reasons why you should start a knitting blog, here’s how you can start.
How to start a knitting blog
1. Pick a blogging platform
I recommend starting your blog on wordpress.org
WordPress.org is the platform that is used most widely by bloggers who want to take blogging seriously and make money from their blog. With this platform the sky is the limit and it is also very easy to use which makes it great for beginners.
You do have to pay a small website/blog hosting fee less than $9 per month, to be able to use wordpress.org. Don’t worry, you will be able to make back this money when your blog starts to generate an income.
If you want to be able to grow your blog, wordpress.org is the best platform to choose.
2. Select your domain name
A domain name is a web address that helps people find you on the internet. For example, my domain name is Meercai.com
I recommend making your domain name simple, catchy and if possible choose a domain name with the word knit or knitting in it (Just a suggestion that may help your blog rank better in google in the future.)
You can also just use your name as a domain name. For example, I am Toya Clercent, so if I wanted to, I could use the domain name Toyaclaercent.com if it were available.
Once you’ve decided on a domain name that you really like and can grow with, click on this link to see if it’s available through Bigscoots.
Note, a domain name via Bigscoots is very cheap and usually costs about $10 per year.
Here are some more tips for picking your domain name:
- Keep it as short as possible
- Keep it memorable
- Try not to use numbers and hyphens
- Research the domain name to make sure it is not trademarked or copyrighted.
- Try using the keywords like knit, knitting or knitted or any other keyword you think people may type when searching for information on knitting.
3. Buy Hosting For Your Blog.
What is hosting/ hosting plan/ web hosting?
Web hosting is a space on the internet that you pay for that allows your blog to be found online. Put simply, it is like a space that you rent to have your blog in, similar to a piece of real estate property for a physical business, except it is way cheaper than renting physical space and paying for this ‘hosting’ allows visitors to access your blog on the internet.
I use and trust bigscoots web hosting for all of my blogs and so this is what I recommend that you use as well.
Typically, good web hosting services cost about $10 a month or about $100 per year.
With Bigscoots, you can start at about $7.95 per month on their Shared Hosting Plan. This plan is ideal for people who are just starting out and who do not yet have thousands or even hundreds of visitors per month.
I recommend paying for this service annually so that you do not forget to pay for it and have your site go down. Paying annually will cost you $83.40 which will help you save some money.
However, if your finances do not allow for you to pay for the annual fee, then you can pay the monthly fee of $7.95.
Here are some fun facts about bigscoots hosting before you choose to dive in:
- Bigscoots has some of the most hands on customer service I’ve encountered. No matter the time or day, I am sure to get a timely response to any concerns I may have.
- The service its self is quite amazing and my blogs load a lot quicker with Bigscoots compared to when I used to host them on Godaddy.com. As you become more familiar with blogging, you will begin to understand how important fast websites are for the people who will be visiting your blog.
- With Bigscoots, you get a FREE SSL certificate for your website which can otherwise cost you at least $60 annually with other hosting companies.
When you are ready to start your knitting blog, follow the steps below to buy hosting for your blog.
- Click this link to get to bigscoots.com
- Fill in your information as indicated in the short video clip below.
Once you’ve added chosen the plan you’re most comfortable with, chosen a domain name, added your personal details and pressed checkout, you will be taken to a page where you can put in your payment details and click on pay now.
After you’ve paid you’ll be taken to your invoice page where you can see the payment details outlining what you’ve paid for.
4. Updating name servers.
(This step only applies to you if you did not purchase your domain name from Bigscoots)
If you purchased your domain name from godaddy or any site other than bigscoots, then you will need to update your name servers.
The great thing about Bigscoots is that they will do this step for you if you are new and not sure how to do it yourself.
Let’s show you how to ask the support team over at Bigscoots to help you with this step.
- Click on Dashboard on the side menu.
- Follow the steps in the short video clip and wait a few hours for them to get it done and get back to you.
Copy and paste the text below if you do not want to type in your own request.
I recently purchased web hosting from Bigscoots. However, I already had my domain name which I purchased from Godaddy.com.
I received an email from Bigscoots asking me to update my name servers. I am new to all this and have no idea how to go about this.
Is it possible that someone on your team can help me with this step. This would mean the world to me.
Thanks so much
Once you’ve sent this, wait a moment as the team will be working on it and updating you on the progress.
Again, this step only applies to your if your domain was registered or purchased with a company other than Bigscoots.
However, if you purchased both domain name and hosting from Bigscoots, then follow these simple steps to install WordPress.
5. How to install WordPress
- To install WordPress, Click on Dashboard on the side menu
- Then follow the steps in the video below
Once you’ve done this, you will be taken to the page seen in the video below.
Follow the steps in this video to install WordPress.
Please note: It is very important to write down your username and password fro future reference. This step will help you easily log into your blog without any headaches.
After a few moments WordPress will be install and you will receive this message which means your site is ready to be used:
Click on the administration URL on the page. This URL will take you to your admin page where you can log in with the email/username or password you choose when installing WordPress.
Note: This first time around it may log you in automatically, but as mentioned above, always remember to write down or save you email, username and password for future reference.
Now you’re in your WordPress dashboard and you’ll see a page like this:
This WordPress dashboard is where all the magic will happen.
Now that you have your website ready to go, I’ll show you how to start adding in the necessary pages, plugins and the other elements that will make the blog look complete.
Your blog is empty now except for a few pieces of pre-populated information. Over the next few days, you’ll need to start setting up your blog, creating content, learning how to use the blog basically.
I want to provide you with a guide on how to set up the blog so that you can start getting visitors.
Click here to learn to make your blog look more attractive.
But first, congratulations on starting your knitting blog! This is the first step and on of the most difficult and you’ve done it!